Re: toolchain alternatives

On Wednesday, December 3, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Can someone with the knowledge please do a little ascii chart of the
> alternative toolchains for producing output from Docbook (can limit to
> XML)?

This is an excellent question whose answer is long overdue.

There are many options (esp. regarding xsl-related tools), which I
unfortunately don't have the time to address right now. (I'm in the
process of applying for a new job.)

If no one else does, I should be able to generate such a chart by the
end of the week.

I will say that the xsl toolchains for producing ps/pdf are not yet
mature, but will meet most needs. OTOH, you can always use the DSSSL
stylesheets and the db2pdf, db2ps, etc., which are part of the
docbook-utils package (but you have to explicitly provide xml.dcl as
the default declaration).

If you run unstable, you may find that the DSSSL print toolchain to be
broken since one of the essential components (jadetex) appears to be
uninstallable. [See bug #205922]

Anyway, unless someone else is willing to provide such a diagram, I'll
do so by the end of the week. Feel free to 'prod' me if you don't hear
anything by Friday.

Sorry I can't help you right now.

Cheers,
Mark