Re: shipping the xml catalog DTD

On 14 Jan 2003, Adam DiCarlo wrote:

> Should I include the XML catalog DTD with sgml-data?  (Probably along
> with the Relax, XML Schema, and other represntations.)  Or should this
> be in it's own package?

Adam,

	If an XML processor is processing the catalog itself, it would be
beneficial to have a "SYSTEM" mapping specifying the local location of
this DTD. A logical place to have this would be in /etc/xml/catalog
itself. If the xml-common package is going to install /etc/xml/catalog ,
then it would be kind of awkward to have the Catalog DTD in another
package. Unless of course, xml-common doesnt install /etc/xml/catalog and
leaves it up to sgml-data.....

	On another note - what about file naming conventions?
/etc/xml/catalog is hardcoded into xsltproc - so we dont have much
flexibility in its naming. SGML catalogs are called either "catalog" or
"<filename>.cat". In order to allow the equivalent XML catalogs to be
present in same directory, I propose a naming convention of "xcatalog" or
"<filename>.xcat"

Jor-el