Re: SGML/XML Policy Group - XML Catalog Update

On Sunday, January 12, Jor-el wrote:

> 	Glad you are active again - and Happy Birthday!

Glad to be back -- and thanks. Divorce sucks, and not in a good way:)

> In addition to the above items, could you also please consider a
> SYSTEM local location for the dtd that defines XML Catalog
> documents?

Sure. It'd naturally have to be part of xml-base. Also, I've written a
customization layer for the XML Catalog spec dtd that provides support
for directives from the previous OASIS TR9401 (aka SGML) catalog
spec. This should make the conversion from TR9401 to XML Catalog
entries a bit easier.

The dtds and the content models can be seen at one of the following:

   http://klecker.debian.org/~mrj/oasis/catalog/xml/

   http://globaltranscorp.org/oasis/catalog/xml/

Keep in mind that Norm still has to sign off on the use of elements in
his urn namespace, as well as giving the OK to the OASIS-based FPIs
I've constructed. And also that the content of the dtds reflect the
content of the August 2001 XML Catalog spec, rather than the Oct 2002
version. (I'll have to look into the differences...)

When all is said and done, I think Debian is also going to need to
provide network-accessible dtds (if we already don't), by defining a
special subdir on a debian webserver. In this way we can provide
persistent URLs for debian-specific dtds and other xml resources (such
as stylesheet customizations, etc.)

Something along the lines of "http://www.debian.org/xml/..."; ought to
suffice.

Anyway, those are some general thoughts.

Delusional as I am, I believe the catalog structure/content policy (as
in what elements should be allowed in which level catalogs) that I'll
propose tomorrow makes good sense in that it minimizes parsing of
catalogs so that the _only_ catalog that gets fully parsed is exactly
the catalog that is needed. (Modulo things I've missed, of course.)

More later...

Cheers,
Mark

> While xsltproc doesnt reference the 'net for this DTD when it uses
> the catalogs, that is not to say that there wont be another XSL
> processor or other XML programs that need to reference this DTD.

...which is why I think it also makes sense to put the dtds on the
web...