Re: Debian package sgml-data: XHTML 1.0 2nd ed, XHTML 1.1 etc

[CC added to debian-sgml@lists.debian.org]

Frederic Schutz <schutz@mathgen.ch> writes:

>   - XHTML 1.0 Second edition,
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801/
>   - XHTML 1.1, http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/
>   - SVG, http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
>
> Do you think they could be added to the sgml-data package ? I imagine that
> the answer should be yes for the first 2 -- but I don't know much about
> SVG.

XHTML 1.0 is in sgml-data.  You are saying it's an outdated version
and should be updated?

As for XHTML 1.1, see bugs 139058 (WNPP) and the improperly closed
89217.  I am not willing to add additional large complex DTDs into
sgml-data.  XHTML should be packaged separately; in fact, I would
prefer if someone would do this, taking both XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1
so I can remove XHTML 1.0 from sgml-data.

As for SVG, is it small and simple enough that it's silly to package
it separately?  I guess so.  If it should be in sgml-data, please file
a wishlist on sgml-data requesting it be added; if it should be it's
own package, file a request as appropriate on WNPP (reportbug can help
with WNPP requests).

We really do need a volunteer to package XHTML.  If no one volunteers,
I can do it, but I'm not a good candidate since I don't use XHTML.
OTOH, DTD packages are damn easy to maintain and change infrequently,
and I have a lot of experience with them.

> I'm happy to fill in a wishlist bug against sgml-data if you want me to do
> so -- but I first wanted to have your opinion on this. If you think they
> can be added, do you have and idea how long it could take ?

SVG is indeed rather small and won't take long.  XHTML 1.1, I can't
say.

> Oh, and just in case you're interested in the W3C validator,
> http://www.mathgen.ch/debian/unstable contains the package and the sources
> (the dependancies are for testing, but Perl 5.8 should "Provide"
> everything that is needed so it should work on unstable -- otherwise, any
> comment welcome !)

Nice.  Let me know any other things you find in my packages (esp
sgml-data) which could be better. Generally filing bugs is fine, but
in the issue you raise here, I'm glad you asked in email first...