Re: SGML in woody problems

"Neil L. Roeth" <neil@occamsrazor.net> writes:

> Problem solved!  You provided the key.  I did a "fgrep SGMLDECL $(locate
> .cat)" and discovered that the problem was with some XML packages I had
> installed.  The net effect was to include xml.dcl in my catalog for SGML, and
> that file includes the lines:
>
> NAMECASE
> 	GENERAL NO
>
> which apparently overrode the declaration elsewhere.  I removed the XML
> packages and my problems were resolved.  Thanks for pointing me in
> the right direction.

Which XML packages caused this problem?  Were the Debian packages?
Installing an XML package shouldn't infect the rest of the operation
for other XML or SGML DTDs.  So you should probably file a bug, if
they were Debian packages.

> How does one use both SGML and XML on the same system?  In order for XML to
> work, it appears I must manually specify the catalog and declaration, because
> if I make them part of the standard catalogs in /etc/sgml then it will cause
> conflicts.  Is that correct?

OpenSP supports DTDDECL.  I use this in my packages, see
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/xml/4.1/docbook.cat for example.