pdfxmltex problems

Hey folks. I'm working with gstreamer's doc build system, and the last
time I tried to fix my xmltex setup I completely borked it. So I figured
I would ask you all about the problems, from the beginning, to see if
it's an easy fix.

I make fo objects using xsltproc from docbook-xml. I also make xhtml,
and that works fine. But when I go to convert the fo files to pdf, I get
an error:

$ make pdf
pdfxmltex gstreamer-manual.fo
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20011114-ojmw (Web2C
7.3.7)
(./gstreamer-manual.fo
Error: pdfxmltex (file pdftex.cfg): cannot open config file
make: *** [gstreamer-manual.pdf] Error 255

$ locate pdftex.cfg
/etc/texmf/pdftex/pdftex.cfg

$ dpkg --list xmltex
[...]
ii  xmltex                     0.14-1.1                   TeX package
for processing XML files

I'm running sid. Any clues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

wingo.