Re: xml catalogs (Was: xmlto 0.0.7 and URLs)

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 12:01, Yann Dirson wrote:
> [Cc'd to debian-sgml]
>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:12:49PM +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:54:51PM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:
> >
> > > Having my home box hidden behing an analogic modem, and thus offline
> > > most of the time, I noticed that xmlto currently cannot work when the
> > > network is unaccessible.
> >
> > It works for me.  You obviously don't have XML catalogs set up.
> > Here's what I have in /etc/xml/catalog:
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
> > <!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD Entity Resolution XML Catalog V1.0//EN"
> > "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/catalog.dtd";>
> > <catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">
> > <delegatePublic publicIdStartString="-//OASIS//ENTITIES DocBook XML" catalog="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog"/>
> > <delegatePublic publicIdStartString="-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML" catalog="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog"/>
> > <delegatePublic publicIdStartString="ISO 8879:1986" catalog="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog"/>
> > <delegateSystem systemIdStartString="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/"; catalog="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog"/>
> > <delegateURI uriStartString="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/"; catalog="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog"/>
> > <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.48"; rewritePrefix="/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.48-3"/>
> > <rewriteURI uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.48"; rewritePrefix="/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.48-3"/>
> > <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current"; rewritePrefix="/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.48-3"/>
> > <rewriteURI uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current";
> > rewritePrefix="/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.48-3"/>
> > </catalog>
> >
> > The docbook-style-xsl RPM package has post and postun scripts that
> > modify this, of course, using xmlcatalog(1).
>
> Debian has an xmlcatalog program, from the libxml2 package, but there is no

Right, it's standard in the newer libxml2s.

> mention of the /etc/xml/catalog special path.  Is it standard ?  What
> packages make use of it ?

Hmm, this could easily be debated some more, though I hope it won't be.
The LSB spec has a section that covers SGML, and the current idea on the
table is to use that section, s/SGML/XML/, and call that the XML
addendum.  If we can ever get a consensus on that, it will be a
standard.

libxml2 and libxslt make use of it in their stable releases.  GNOME 2's
alpha releases make use of it, and an XML catalog WILL be required for
GNOME2.

For what it's worth, I sent something tot he list about this a few weeks
ago, which met with only silence.  :-(

> > > I'd have expected a public ID that would resolve on my box to
> > > something like
> > > /usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/common/common.xsl, but I
> > > don't know much of xinclude...
> >
> > 'http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/common/common.xsl'
> > is just such a public ID.
>
> OK.