please consider catalog design change

Wichert Akkerman (wichert@cistron.nl) wrote:
> Please consider changing the way the sgml catalog is handled to be
> more like what menu, modutils, the MIME system, the GNOME menu system,
> doc-base and almost all other subsystems do: use a directory in which
> special files are installed with catalog information, and make
> update-sgml-catalog a script that scans that directory and builds the
> system catalog. That is a much more robust setup and makes sgml
> more consistent with the rest of Debian.

The new system we have *does* work this way.  There is the master
catalog, controlled by update-catalog, then generally in
/etc/sgml/*.cat some delegated catalogs pointing to the actual
per-file catalogs in /usr/share/sgml.

I don't know how we could really do better than this -- also, it's
important to stick to the LSB and the types of standards they are
working out beyond the narrow confines of Debian.