Re: status of /ust/lib/sgml -> /usr/share/sgml transition

Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:

> The main problem with this interim solution comes when you use your
> own DTDs that refer to ISO entities (as most do).  You cannot put them
> in /usr/{lib,share}/sgml because that's off limits to user
> modification,

I don't agree.  According to the copyright, you can make minor changes
that don't change the structure to accomodate local integration tasks.
I got this right from the W3C and Norm Walsh both.

> so you can't refer to the entities with relative paths, so you must
> choose between SYSTEM IDs with absolute paths (ouch!) or maintaining
> your own parallel catalog file.

Maintaining a parallel catalog file isn't that bad.

Our best hope for a rational SGML/XML stuff upstream is getting the
LSB spec fixed and encouraging upstream to fix it.  As for Debian, it
should "just work", if possible, with or without catalog capabilities
in the processing tools.