Re: XML FO processors

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 02:45:04PM +0200, Yann Dirson wrote:
> I suggest that we introduce a new virtual package, named
> xml-fo-formatter, which will be Provides:'d by packages able to make
> sense of it (ie. turn them into printable material), and Suggests:'d
> by xsl processors.

packages? That would be both of them then (fop and passivetex).

> I don't think there is currently any means of finding such software in
> the archive, and this does not help to make Debian easy to use to
> process XML documents.

A virtual package in itself does nothing to enhance visibility. Also, a
virtual package is normally used for packages that provide the same
interface (like /usr/sbin/sendmail). Fop and passivetex are radically
different (and both still incomplete enough to irritate).

What's wrong with a Suggests: one|theother?

Oh, and it turns out passivetex isn't even packaged yet, and fop is 3
versions behind.

--
Bart.