Re: status of /ust/lib/sgml -> /usr/share/sgml transition

On 7 Sep 2001, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Mark> Should we _always_ change the SYSTEM ids in entity definitions
> Mark> to debian-specific relative paths, thereby assuming the user has
> Mark> no catalog support. And when should we retain the PUBLIC ID?

As an intermittent commentator, I should say NO.
This is because I firmly believe that any serious user should have
catalog support from the start.  (Personal opinion.)

> Mark> To be on the safe side, when I packaged this dtd I changed the
> Mark> SYSTEM ID to a relative path and ditched the PUBLIC ID like so:
>
> Mark> <!ENTITY % docbook SYSTEM "../../../dtd/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd">
> Mark> %docbook;
>
> I think this is terrible.  It means going along with the fact that XML
> tools without catalog support are broken.  Why should users of tools
> that get it right (Jade) continue to suffer for that?

Heartily seconded.

msw
--
              *** Free Speech *** Free Dmitry Sklyarov ***
   Sell your shares in Adobe.  Boycott ALL American non-free software.