SGML validation in emacs

I am a Debian/Unix/Emacs/SGML newbie. I just installed a stable potato
system last month, and installed the debiandoc-sgml package last week. I'm
starting to get a little more comfortable with emacs. Anyway, I have
attempted to validate the SGML documents I was working on and ran into a few
difficulties. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Within the emacs sgml mode, the docs say I can use C-c C-v to validate the
sgml in the document I'm working on. When I do, it errors out saying it
can't find the program sgmls. I tried looking for that package with dpkg,
but as far as I can tell nsgmls has replaced it. How do I tell emacs it has
the wrong package name?

When I run nsgmls from the shell on the file in question, I get buku errors
regarding closing of tags. I suspect that's because the files on which I'm
working (e.g. boot-floppies/documentation/en/rescue-boot.sgml) are not
standalone documents, but are inserted as sections into the larger
boot-floppies/documentation/install.sgml document. These docs don't have a
DTD section, so I think nsgmls is using a generic SGML DTD to validate
rather than a debiandoc DTD. The install.sgml document has a DTD reference;
if I'm running nsgmls on the section document, how can I tell it where to
find the DTD?

Are there even more useful tools lying around for working on sgml?

--

Chris Tillman
tillman@azstarnet.com