Re: [SUMMARY] Divergance with LSB spec

Adam Di Carlo writes:
> Mark Johnson <mark@phy.duke.edu> writes:
>
> > The /usr/share/sgml tree would look like:
> >
> > /usr/share/sgml/
> >                  declaration/
> >                  dtd/
> >                  entities/
> >                  stylesheet/
> >                  misc/
> >                  html/
> >                  jade/
> >                  tei/
> >                  docbook/
> >
> > The dtd/ and stylesheet/ dirs are for stuff that doesn't warrant it's own
> > subtree.
>
> I don't know if I like this convention.  I know it follows Debian
> current practice, but it diverges unnecessarily from the LSB spec for
> little benefit.  Take for example the freebsd materials:
>
>   catalog  default.dsl  freebsd.dsl  freebsd.dtd  freebsd41.dtd  man-refs.ent
>
> Here we see a pretty common DocBook customization layer.  It has
> entities, a DTD extending docbook (3.1 and 4.1), a stylesheet, and a
> catalog.  In your scheme this would be split under the stylesheet and
> dtd subdirs, and I think that's a big minus.

These would go in the docbook subdir, because that's what they depend
on/are customizations of. However, your point still holds, as they'd
be separated down there, too. Any ideas?

> > THe docbook subdirectory looks like:
>
> Agreed.
>
> > /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/xml/
> >                                 docbookx.CAT (for docbook-xml 3X & 4X)
> >                                 (symlinks??)
>
> Yes -- Symlinks.  3.1 -> 3.1.7 as well as 3 -> 3.1.7.
>
> > DTDs derived from, or dependent on, a DTD should be in subdirectories
> > of the DTD. Selected sections of the docbook-xml tree would look
> > like:
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Note that the catalogs for a given package (*.CAT) are NOT in the
> > directories with the DTDs. They sit one level up--alongside the
> > versioned directories.
>
> Why?  I strongly disagree with this.

You shouldn't: it's how you do it:-) The idea came from your docbook-xml package.

> In your simplified docbook
> example:
>
> > /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/xml/4.1.2/simple/
> >                                              sdocbookx.CAT
> >                                              4.1.2.1/
> >                                              4.1.2.4/
>
> Now it's unclear and confusing which Simplified Docboo, 4.1.2.1 or
> 4.1.2.4, the catalog file refers to.

It refers to all of them, it's a combined catalog file.

I was thinking that all versions would be be part of a single
package. So put the catalog file above them all. I think it makes good
sense - like docbook-xml. Your call.

> > Stylesheets are similar, but no versioned directories:
>
> Agreed.
>
> > I haven't yet thought about the super/central/localized catalogs. That
> > structure might need to be modified as well.
>
> Please retain focus on the layout of the /usr/share/sgml tree only.
> We must do one thing at a time or we'll never get anything done.

Amen.

> > Entities need to be addressed, as well.
>
> I believe they already are addressed.  Leave them with the DTDs they
> go with.    Regarding standard entities, I don't know that we really
> have to diverge with LSB.

Sounds good to me.