Re: new version of sgml-base uploaded

Adam Di Carlo (adam@onshore.com) wrote:
> Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Initially /usr/lib/sgml/catalog was to be symlinked to the super
> > catalog, but then psgml didn't work anymore.  Apparently psgml
> > doesn't support CATALOG (the xemacs version does).  To prevent
> > other things from breaking too I've decided to make the symlink
> > as described above.
>
> Ouch.  This means that any package that looks for a catalog in
> /usr/lib/sgml/catalog will only get the stuff that was installed at
> the time when the new sgml-base is installed, correct?

Yep.  But read below for my change of mind about this.

> > This means that we now first have to adapt the SGML tools to look
> > at the super catalog and understand the CATALOG directive.  Only
> > then we can start moving the stuff currently under /usr/lib/sgml
> > to /usr/share/sgml.
>
> Well, any packages installed *after* the sgml-base installation, and
> using the new install-sgmlcatalog, the catalog snippets installed
> using the new system will not be available in the catalog symlink in
> /usr/lib/sgml/, right?

New versions shouldn't use install-sgmlcatalog anymore (I have to make
this more clear).  They should simply install the catalog in the new
place and use update-catalog to get it in a centralized catalog and
in the super catalog.  And again read below about my change of mind.

> Will the old snippets in /etc/sgml/transition.cat be removed as their
> new deletegated CATALOG entries are added to the new /etc/sgml/catalog?

Yes, but this is done automatically when upgrading a package.  The prerm
of postrm of the current version should contain a `install-sgmlcatalog
--remove` which handles this.

> Any package using /etc/sgml.catalog will break, I think -- right?

Yes, but I haven't found any package using /etc/sgml.catalog.  I only
saw them using /usr/lib/sgml/catalog.

> > If anybody needs any help with this let me know.  I'm willing to do
> > NMU's, test packages, etc.  In the meantime I'll also integrate all
> > the policy related docs into a single doc and work on some new tools
> > to support ordinary catalogs.
>
> What's an "ordinary catalog"?

One with FPIs and such (at least that's what it's called in the spec).

> Can you file a bug against psgml that it doesn't understand the
> CATALOG directive?  It seems that understanding that directive is a
> baseline requirement for any debian SGML/XML system that attempts to
> understand catalogs at all...

Will do.

A good night sleep can be quite refreshing and I've decided to change
the symlink from /usr/lib/sgml/catalog back to /etc/sgml/catalog.
This gives us more room to play with: we don't have to wait until the
tools are updated before we can start moving the stuff to the new
location.  Having only one package preventing us from starting that
doesn't make sense to me after all.  I'll upload a new version before
it gets into the distribution.

Thanks,
Ardo
--