Re: new version of sgml-base uploaded

Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> writes:

> Initially /usr/lib/sgml/catalog was to be symlinked to the super
> catalog, but then psgml didn't work anymore.  Apparently psgml
> doesn't support CATALOG (the xemacs version does).  To prevent
> other things from breaking too I've decided to make the symlink
> as described above.

Ouch.  This means that any package that looks for a catalog in
/usr/lib/sgml/catalog will only get the stuff that was installed at
the time when the new sgml-base is installed, correct?

> This means that we now first have to adapt the SGML tools to look
> at the super catalog and understand the CATALOG directive.  Only
> then we can start moving the stuff currently under /usr/lib/sgml
> to /usr/share/sgml.

Well, any packages installed *after* the sgml-base installation, and
using the new install-sgmlcatalog, the catalog snippets installed
using the new system will not be available in the catalog symlink in
/usr/lib/sgml/, right?

Will the old snippets in /etc/sgml/transition.cat be removed as their
new deletegated CATALOG entries are added to the new /etc/sgml/catalog?

Any package using /etc/sgml.catalog will break, I think -- right?

> If anybody needs any help with this let me know.  I'm willing to do
> NMU's, test packages, etc.  In the meantime I'll also integrate all
> the policy related docs into a single doc and work on some new tools
> to support ordinary catalogs.

What's an "ordinary catalog"?

Can you file a bug against psgml that it doesn't understand the
CATALOG directive?  It seems that understanding that directive is a
baseline requirement for any debian SGML/XML system that attempts to
understand catalogs at all...