ITP: docbook-xmlschema -- DocBook XML Schema

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist

DocBook XML Schema is currently an experimental XML Schema version of
DocBook.

+++++++++++++++++++
XML Schema FYI:

XML Schemas serve a similar function as DTDs in describing markup
grammar and content models, but address many shortcomings of SGML
DTDs. They allow for much greater control in specifying valid content.

They're expected to replace DTDs.

Some useful features:

 - Richer content datatypes (+/- numbers, boolean, dates, times, ...)

 - User defined datatypes (e.g. only names of my dogs are allowed here)

 - Refinable datatypes
   (see http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/1999/07/schemas/index.html)

 - Namespace support (which is kludgey in DTDs)

(The above taken from Norm Walsh's Schema article:
  http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/1999/07/schemas/index.html)

More info about schema can be found at w3c:
 http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema
and a nice article on xml.com:
 http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2000/11/29/schemas/part1.html

++++++++++++++++++

The distribution terms are not currently specified, but I suspect
they'll be the same as DocBook. I'll work this out with the upstream
developer.

License Info

Copyright 2000 HaL Computer Systems, Inc.,
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., ArborText, Inc., Fujitsu Software
Corporation, Sun Microsystems, Inc, and the Organization for the
Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS).

$Id: docbook.xsd,v 1.7 2001/01/12 18:52:51 ndw Exp $

Mark