Re: packaging TEI

Sebastian Rahtz writes:
> Michael Smith writes:
>  > Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
>  >
>  > > I know TEI is not really as favored as DocBook, but it seems that a
>  > > lot of people use it.  I think the DTD at least ought to be packaged
>  > > in Debian.
>  >

Agreed. I know people who use it. Non-techies often don't need docbook.

>  > Unfortunately, you may find that the nature of TEI makes it difficult
>  > to package "the" TEI DTD, unless you just go with TEILite:

In fact, I packaged TEILite for someone here. DTD and Sebastian's
stylesheets.  Now if I only can find it...

> it would be possible to put together some sample TEI DTDs other than
> Lite, if Debian were interested.

Sebastian,

Can you give an example of the sort of sample TEI DTD you could
provide and tell us how it's content differs from the full TEI DTD?

>  >
>  > In fact, Sebastian Rahtz has created XSL stylesheets for TEI:
>
> indeed. I'd be very happy if these were packaged up under Debian.

I can package your stylesheets. But give me a month.

>  > On a related note, is there any possibility of a Debian package for
>  > PassiveTex?
> ditto

Way ditto on packaging PassiveTex.

Unless I'm mistaken, Debian is still in need of an out-of-the-box
setup for creating print (PDF, in particular) output from XML
documents and XSL styleshsheets.

Some older PassiveTex files are included as contrib'ed examples with
the xmltex package, but it's nothing close to working
out-of-the-box. I'm not a TeX guy, so I always have trouble getting
that kind of stuff working properly. But PassiveTeX is a very nice
setup when you can get it all working.