Re: DocBook

On Sunday 26 December 1999, at 16 h 15, the keyboard of Howard Mann
<howardm@xmission.com> wrote:

> I note that the versions in "unstable" are more recent.

It is quite common. The opposite would be funny :-)

> Can I upgrade
> from "unstable" or will there be a problem related to the "glibc 2.1"
> issue ?

Not all packages depend on libc. Debian packages Web pages tell you so. For
instance, "docbook" only depends on sgml-data and sgml-base (which makes
sense, this is not code, only data).

In practice, it should be (my advice, your machine) harmless to upgrade
DocBook packages on slink.

If you come from RedHat, one <emphasis>important</emphasis> advice: never
force dpkg if it complains about dependencies.

> Should I wait for the release of Potato?

Your choice.

> Norm Walsh issues updates/fixes to his modular style sheets quite
> often. How soon are these changes incorporated into the relevant .deb
> packages ?

The "docbook" Debian maintainer does it quite often.