Re: First beta version of the Debian SGML/XML HOWTO

Hi.

In <[🔎] 199911051002.LAA01032@ezili.sis.pasteur.fr>,
 at Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:02:29 +0100,
   Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org> writes:

> > Can I commit the translated version as ddp/manuals.sgml/sgml-howto/howto.ja.db ?
>
> Like the other manuals? OK.

I have commited. Please use this for web as one of translations if possible.

> PS: what encoding will you use for a Japanese text?
>      I'm not sure all the XML tools will support it.

It is written in EUC-JP.

I ask the status of tools to Kenshi Muto, and he answered me in Japanese.
I translated his answer as best as I can.

jade is 8bit through, so EUC-JP text can be handled by jade. libxml seems
to have no problem also.

UTF-8 (Unicode) including Japanese text, should be handled correctly,
but there are some problems, which seems to come from parser level.
He suspect the declaration part.

When converting EUC-JP text into html, the information with othercredit
element would not come on HTML. The name of translater also would not
be shown on HTML. He suspect stylesheet problem about othercredit element.

And character entity such as &eacute; in document causes trouble if
it is included in EUC-JP text, becuase that entity is converted into
ISO-8859 native code, so ISO-8859 code is included among EUC-JP text.
When opening howto.ja.html with Emacs, the display is garbled.

jadetex has more severe problem.

Since currently no implementation of TeX can handle UTF-8,
so UTF-8 tex output is not useful.

He is checking jadetex with EUC-JP text, but currently does not get success,
although Using various fmt file with jadetex. jadetex can output TeX flle
which includes EUC-JP text, but dvi files are currupted.

I think that jadetex should call jtex or some tex implementation which can
handle japanese text, since ja-enhanced tex is required to convert EUC-JP
tex file into dvi correctly.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>