Manual with several architectures together (Was: Hardcopy documentation

[It was on debian-doc, but I just want to followup on a technical point.]

On Wednesday 13 October 1999, at 13 h 9, the keyboard of Adam Di Carlo
<adam@onshore.com> wrote:

> ASCII.  One tricky thing there is that the manual varies a little
> for each architecture -- since a user only cares about one architecture,
> we don't currently have a way to have a single version with bracketed
> per-architecture notes.

This is because the installation manual uses conditional sections, no? And no SGML parser can use them that way (some are included, some are ignored but there is no way, above the parser, to know why or why not they were included).

Therefore, I prefer the method to use attributes with values (arch="i386") which makes easy in the stylesheet to keep only one arch, or to keep them all, and adding the name "with bracketed per-architecture notes".

Comments?