Re: new to sgml

On Tuesday 24 August 1999, at 23 h 47, the keyboard of Christian Hammers
<ch@lathspell.westend.com> wrote:

> to be able to print then correctly, so I want to learn SGML since
> I heard that there are tools to produce .ps or .dvi directly from then.

I'm afraid that you should learn a bit more before spending time typing SGML.
First, SGML is a meta-language. There are no tools to translate any SGML file
to Postscript. There are tools to translate a specific SGML instance ("DTD"),
a specific language, to Postscript. In Debian, docbook-stylesheets,
sgml-tools, etc.

> Now I have the big problem, that I cannot find any formatting information
> in the sgml files. In every dtd I've found there is only a BNR-like
> notation of which elements are allowed in which place but nowhere such
> things like font-size, color or absoule screen position are mentioned.

It is one of the foundations of SGML: it separates presentation from
structure. If you don't agree, do not use SGML.

http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/

> (I could do it in html/css, so theroetically it has to be possible in
> SGML, or not ?)

Yes.