Re: resurrecting sgml-base

On Saturday 17 July 1999, at 10 h 29, the keyboard of Manoj Srivastava
<srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

>         I heard that the proposed standard was moribund, and that
>  there are issues with the standard. If that is the case, we should
>  pick and choose the good points of the proposal, and not constrain
>  ourselves to the standard per se.

Well, the standard is moribund, as Adam explained, just because no one works on it. But it is fine by itself, improves the current SGML policy and can be implemented, at least by Debian (so it is not a standard but it is a useful policy).

It is just a matter to have a /etc/sgml/sgml.conf file and inside:

SGML_BASE_DIR=/usr/share/sgml
SGML_EXTRA_BASE_DIRS=/opt/sgml/share

Applications could use it, or, if the maintainer is too overloaded to change that, just use the hardcoded value of /usr/share/sgml.

Also, we should specify directories for stylesheets, and the way to organize it, as listed in <http://www.sgmltools.org/docs/sgml-dir-standard/t0103.html> (/usr/share/sgml/stylesheet/dsssl/docbook/nwalsh).