Re: ITP: xslj, a XSL processor (XSL is one of the stylesheet format of XML)

Le Monday 28 June 1999, à 10 h 44,
Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> écrivit au service d'aide :

> Yes, well, DSSSL is ISO and it may lapse.  CSS and XSL are W30.

BTW, this is a good reason against DSSSL. ISO standards are not legally
distributable, not even in our non-free section. The authoritative CSS and XSL
specs, on the opposite, can be packaged for Debian.

For the same reason (freedom of specs), I prefer XML over full-SGML.

> Furthermore, if you want to style SGML or XML to print today, DSSSL is
> a working solution, and everything else is vapor.

Right. We have a DSSSL tool in Debian (jade) but nothing for XSL (and it is
not laziness from the maintainers, it reflects the state of XSL).

But, if you don't write DSSSL yourself (congratulations for those who can),
the situation is far from perfect. For instance, DocBook's DSSSL stylesheets
for TeX produces jadetex, not Latex, so you cannot use the ordinary LaTeX
packages you're used to, such as those who handle French typography. I'm sure
there are good technical reasons for that, but it's a serious problem...