Re: [jtauber@jtauber.com: FOP 0.7.0 release with source]

On Tuesday 22 June 1999, at 13 h 28, the keyboard of Bart Schuller
<schuller+debian-sgml@lunatech.com> wrote:

> For those who followed the recent discussion on -devel that started with
> an ITP of xslj: this might be a better candidate.
> Subject: FOP 0.7.0 release with source
> This would have been 0.6.4 except that I wanted to go up a minor version for
> the release of the source. Changes in this version:

OK, I've read the licence and it seems really free (DFSG-free, with just the
annoying Berkeley advertisment clause). Good.

> A new mainline class XTCommandLine that enables straight XML+XSL to PDF
> (using XT which must be downloaded separately) without having to run an XSLT
> engine and save the formatting object tree as a separate step.

It means we should package XT <http://www.jclark.com/xml/xt.html> first (there
is an XT package in Debian, but which has nothing to do, and should be renamed
xtraceroute one day or the other). And XT will require XP first. Not right now.

> Separated out the PDF-specific code that was within the area/space classes.
> This makes FOP more modular and will enable alternative output formats in
> the future

Yes but, at the present time, it outputs only PDF, which is not interesting for me. I need at least Latex (or may be straight Postscript) and HTML.