Re: Is this the right place to discuss no-dsa choices?

Hello Andrew,

I read your message as well as
https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-samba-maint/2021-May/022771.html
and I believe I can add a few more pointers, as part of the (separate)
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) team.

(I'm a bit confused because you're listed as a Debian package
maintainer at https://packages.debian.org/sid/samba but I assume
you're asking from upstream / Samba maintainers' point of view.)

First "no-dsa" (and its sub-states ignored/postponed) is described at:
https://security-team.debian.org/security_tracker.html#issues-not-warranting-a-security-advisory
Note that no-dsa usually means fixing the issue is not urgent/critical,
needs not high-priority tracking/action from the Security Team, but
the package maintainer(s) may track and prepare a fix nonetheless,
e.g. through Debian's quarterly point releases (10.x).
Likewise, I read "Minor issue" as "non-critical".

By contrast, "unimportant" is a lesser severity state, and matching
CVEs will likely never be fixed due to inapplicability in Debian or
questionable security relevance.

Looking at the open CVEs and samba package history, it seems the
immediate limiting factor for fixing CVEs is whether the samba
branches shipped in Debian (4.5.x and 4.9.x) were maintained upstream
at CVE time, and probably packager man-power to ship a minor upgrade
and/or backport fixes.

If you're interested in the handling of samba in Debian LTS
(stretch/oldstable) specifically, which is extended support and is
usually performed by the LTS team without involving the package
maintainers, you may want to reach debian-lts@lists.debian.org.

Cheers!
Sylvain Beucler
Debian LTS Team