Re: retpoline-enabled GCC build for jessie

On 18/02/2018 10:44, who.are.you wrote:

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 07:03:00PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:

is this gcc only useful for
rebuilding the kernel or would it "in theory" (and practice) be better
to rebuild everything with it? (of course the latter is probably not really
practical for Debian, but others could do it more easily.)

Does this mean re-installing Debain is the best way to mitigate Spectre?
If yes, would re-installing Debian from now (and onwards) be a good time to avoid Spectre vulnerabilities?

If a Debian package is recompiled then this package is a new version of the previous package and you get it as a Debian update. So if it is better to rebuild all with retpoline-enabled I think that someone in Debian will recompile all the packages and you get they as Debian update... and so you don't have to re-install Debian (or if you reinstall Debian you get the same system you have already... without retpoline-enabled, because I don't have see any package recompiled with that, for now).

Ciao
Davide

PS: I am I