Re: vulnerability in 8.6

hello:

this package is in security repo:  "http://security.debian.org jessie/updates main contrib"

apt-cache showpkg linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64
Package: linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64
Versions:
3.16.36-1+deb8u2 (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_jessie_updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/apt/lists/apt-mirr
or.slyt.gba.gov.ar_debian-security_dists_jessie_updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages)

El jue., 10 de nov. de 2016 a la(s) 06:46, advocatux <advocatux@gmail.com> escribió:

El 10/11/16 a las 04:20, Richard Waterbeek escribió:
> [---snap---]
> But, I have looked for a update and I went to Debian package search and
> searched for; 'kernel image 686
> pae' [https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=stable&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=kernel+image+686+pae]
>
> This gave one result, which is; 'kernel-image-3.16.0-4-686-pae-di' and
> written with that, 'Linux kernel binary image for the Debian installer
> 3.16.36-1+deb8u1: i386'
>
> And I read that I need a '+deb8u2' kernel?
>
> Can someone explain to me what to do next? I have the assumption that a
> 'apt-get install "name-of-required-kerne-package"' would be sufficient?
>
> If not, can someone point me in the right direction on what to do,
> because the link Salvatore posted, it says on that page;
>
> 'For the stable distribution (jessie), these problems have been fixed in
> version 3.16.36-1+deb8u2.
>
> We recommend that you upgrade your linux packages.'

Hi Richard, on the one hand if your package manager is configured
properly, it should handle this situation without trouble.

Remember to run "update" to refresh the list of packages available
before "upgrade".

On the other hand, if you're going to do a manual search you've to look
for "linux image" not "kernel image" because the latter is for use in
building debian-installer images only.

Regards.

--
advocatux

--
|    Heavy voodoo here.  I can't even believe you are reading this.
|    Are you crazy?  Don't even think about adjusting these unless
|    you understand the algorithms in comm_select.c first!
every error lies a great risk