Re: Vulnerabilities rated medium or low risk may not be fixed by Debian security team, is that correct?

> To have an example, you'd need specifics. This is a hypothetical without
> a question. If the implicit question is "could this happen" the answer
> is yes, but you'd need to discuss a specific case to find out why.
>
> Mike Stone

As you asked me for a specific case, may I bring up CVE-2016-5696.

A fix to the medium-risk vulnerability was uploaded on July 10, 2016 by
Eric Dumazet (cf.
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/75ff39ccc1bd5d3c455b6822ab09e533c551f758)

Ben Hutchings uploaded his work on the fix on August 12, 2016 (cf.
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/log/?h=jessie-security)

Debian officially pushed out the fix on September 4, 2016 via DSA-3659-1.

Are there reasons for the 23-day delay in providing end-users the patch?

To the best of my knowledge, Ubuntu advised its end-users on how to fix
the vulnerability way before Debian did.