RE: flashplugin-nonfree and latest Flash security updates

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 17:55:43 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Nick Boyce wrote:
[snip]
> > I realise the nonfree plugin is not really supported, but ...
> > assuming Bart is MIA for some reason, is it possible for the
> > Security Team to either fix the update, or to make an announcement
> > that all Debian users should stop using the Adobe player
> > immediately ?
>
> I'm not part of the team, but I do know that contrib and non-free are
> not supported by the Debian security team, so they are unlikely to
> make any fixes nor announcements.
>
> https://www.debian.org/security/faq#contrib

Thanks. Link read, point taken (although the link does imply the
Security Team will sometimes make appropriate announcements about such
unsupported packages).

> I'd encourage everyone reading this list to use this opportunity
> transition away from using the Adobe Flash player. Most of the web
> should support standard HTML5 by now

I'd love to.  Actually I have removed Flash from almost all my systems
now because, as you say, most sites have introduced HTML5
replacements [*].  I have just one use-case left: for some reason the
BBC News website still requires Flash to show news video clips, although
all other BBC properties seem to have an HTML5 alternative, even if
still beta.  I have a throwaway Debian VM for that purpose, and would
like to use Flash in it for as long as the need remains.

[*] of course, some observers are wondering what new security hell may
be delivered along with HTML5 media players, but that's another
conversation about which I have no personal opinion :-)

Cheers,
Nick
--
The Unix man pages were written by Vogons. Drunk Vogons.
Practicing poetry whilst smashing snails with hammers.