Re: Which Debian packages leak information to the network?

On 5/18/16, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 06:33:52PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
>> Could you explain how any of these tools leak any information "without a
>> user's consent/expectation"?
>
> gnome-calculator contacts a web page/service with currency exchange
> information *on every start*, I think that's a good example of the kind
> of programs Patrick is looking for.

Ah, good one for developing a train of thought.. Instantly made me
think of my weather app which reaches out to the Netherlands very
regularly to garner its information. It would seemingly be disclosing
a user chosen location to gather what it needs, but perhaps not. I
(shamefully) don't know, *grin*.

And there used to be a package install/uninstall documenting
"popularity" program somewhere along the lines that I THINK was
reporting back very quietly in the background. I can't remember what
distro had that but it caused an understandable stink (an extended
disgruntled discussion). Mentioning this one in case it likewise stirs
up thoughts of anything operating similarly these days..

Just thinking out loud... :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey