Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 3547-1] imagemagick security update

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016, at 02:32, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016, Michael Stone wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 08:56:35PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > >Then, maybe we should consider a better way to deal with areas where you
> > >get only one choice out of geoip?
> >
> > Reach out to the relevant team outlining your issues (e.g., lack of IPv6
> > connectivity)? Advising people to hard code security mirrors isn't the right
> > solution.
>
> There's also nothing inherently wrong with just having a single address
> in an RRSet.

It means a single point of failure for that region: e.g. if the mirror
is stale, everything in that region will hit the same stale mirror, be
them users using apt, or "unrecommended" leaf mirrors of
debian-security.  This makes it harder for an user to work around the
breakage (they would need to use an unofficial security mirror from a
different region as the backup source for security updates).

Well, it is not a common issue, and it will be even less common if
someone manages to implement the staleness check.

  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>