Re: SSL/TLS still seems to be screwed up (retrieving Mail with Thunderbird)

Am 2016-04-11 um 20:50 schrieb Vaughn Graham:
    Well once upon a day I had to notice that I can not upload updates
    for my website (which is at http://www.elstel.org
    <http://www.elstel.org/>). I noticed that it was not possible to
    ping my webserver, to traceroute it or view web pages via http on
    it; i.e. the server seemed to be down.

It is not that uncommon for some services to block VPN and public
forwarding services, A number of the companies I have worked with have
this as a policy. It may not really help that much, but it have made it
in some admins standard toolbox.

No, these strange problems did not occur inside a VPN but via the normal internet connection via my ISP which is Telekom Austria. In a fact they were eliminated by the VPN which I suspect to have grabbed my email password. If I say that I could not connect for the many VPNs listed at http://www.vpngate.net/api/iphone which are known to work grosso modo without problems otherwise then I also tried to connect via the 'normal internet access' as provided by my ISP.

As others have said geofencing is quite unreliable, I am in the US and I
never show as in the area I live in at least a few hundred miles away,
and this is going to be even less reliable as time goes on with
companies and countries starting to lease/sell IPv4 space, poorly
documented and geofencing services not updating as this happens.
May be right though all geofencing data Google uses for Austria would then be rather useless or detremential; I still note the coincidence in time because I was never reported any inconsistent login attempts via Vienna while being in Carinthia before (during many years).