Re: SSL/TLS still seems to be screwed up (retrieving Mail with Thunderbird)

Well once upon a day I had to notice that I can not upload updates for my website (which is at http://www.elstel.org). I noticed that it was not possible to ping my webserver, to traceroute it or view web pages via http on it; i.e. the server seemed to be down.

It is not that uncommon for some services to block VPN and public forwarding services, A number of the companies I have worked with have this as a policy. It may not really help that much, but it have made it in some admins standard toolbox.

As others have said geofencing is quite unreliable, I am in the US and I never show as in the area I live in at least a few hundred miles away, and this is going to be even less reliable as time goes on with companies and countries starting to lease/sell IPv4 space, poorly documented and geofencing services not updating as this happens.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Elmar Stellnberger <estellnb@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I cannot resist one question - why you use suspicious VPNs at all?

  Well once upon a day I had to notice that I can not upload updates for my website (which is at http://www.elstel.org). I noticed that it was not possible to ping my webserver, to traceroute it or view web pages via http on it; i.e. the server seemed to be down.
  As a consequence I had contacted my web service provider urgently. At first I could hardly believe the response that everything was ok, in succession I also got the response that my server was reachable from several different networks. Consequently the problem was on my side. While I was trying a lot of VPNs but could connect to apparently none of them while the web pages of major news portals and google were running fine I ultimately succeeded to connect to the least trustworthy VPN that was available. I should have closed my email program though in advance because afterwards I had to change my password.

Am 2016-04-11 um 11:00 schrieb Vladislav Kurz:

Hi,

I would not worry myself, if the connection is reported to be from Vienna
instead of Klagenfurt - it is still from the same country, and GeoIP databases
are IMHO not very precise.

 I am somehow in doubt that it would not pay off to worry about this. Vienna is as far away from my home (Carinthia) as Padua in Italy is (230km via air and ~ 300km via road while the way to Padua is less montaneouos). Laibach (Slovenia) is even more close than Graz a major city on the way to Vienna. Ultimately I have changed my passwords and I would certainly believe that there was reason to do so *.

* There would ultimately be no sense in geodata with sub-country granularity if my home is right on the other side of Austria (very in the South) than Vienna (in the North of Austria) is.

--
-
    Vaughn Graham