Re: SSL/TLS still seems to be screwed up (retrieving Mail with Thunderbird)

On 10.04.2016 19:22, Elmar Stellnberger wrote:
my gmail password was malversated within a few seconds; i.e. I got a login attempt from HongKong and had to change the password after disconnecting.

Is it possible that it was YOUR login attempt? Maybe Google detected your login attempt through VPN as coming from Hong Kong and thus blocked it. If this is the case, your account was probably not compromised.

Actually, Google is very suspicious of login attempts from email clients and other non-browser programs. When logging in through a browser, it uses browser fingerprint and a persistent cookie to check that you are logging in from the browser that you usually use, but it can't do that with email clients.