Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 2896-1] openssl security update

On 11.04.2014, at 17:26, daniel <daniel@noflag.org.uk> wrote:

> We are very concerned about the 'Heartbeat' security problem which has
> been discovered with OpenSSL. Thanks to our out-of-date old-stable
> version of debian, we are using:
>
> openssl 0.9.8o-4squeeze14
>
> This page also claims debian 6 (which we use) is unaffected:
> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-protect-your-server-against-the-heartbleed-openssl-vulnerability
>
> as does the text of the DSA below.
>
> However, both of the heartbeat vulnerability checkers we have used have
> told us that they were able to successfully exploit this vulnerability
> against our site:
>
> http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/#noflag.org.uk
> https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=noflag.org.uk
>
> What could be going on here?

you are not using the squeeze-Apache but a newer one compiled with a newer openssl.

If you do a dpkg -l openssl and don’t get a higher version than 0.9.8 you are probably running one of these “all in one” website packages that provides it’s own apache and applications.

Dirk