Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely

On 03/01/2014 15:43, yaro@marupa.net wrote:
> On Sunday, March 02, 2014 12:00:41 AM Volker Birk wrote:
>> That makes some hope for the BSD world again. The good thing about Free
>> Software is the alternatives.
>>
> Indeed. Though I think you vastly overestimate how many people even think this
> is a bad change. A highly vocal minority at worst.
>
> Have fun using BSD, which continues to have a dwindling user base, for purely
> political reasons because you actually buy into conspiracy theories about what
> Lennart Poettering does in his free time.

Hi Conrad,

I started using Debian six months ago and FreeBSD two months ago.  I
appreciate what I see as positive traits of both, including the
welcoming communities, and when I read an assertion like this I feel as
though some supporting documentation might be helpful.  Without it it
sounds to me like exactly the sort of F.U.D. that respondents in this
thread are trying to dispel.

With regard to conspiracy accusations, I think one concern involves the
deviation here from someone's take on the UNIX philosophy.  Precepts 4
("Choose portability over efficiency") and 7 ("Use shell scripts to
increase leverage and portability") in particular sound to me like
exactly the sort of assertions upon which reasonable people might
disagree with regard to systemd:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Mike_Gancarz:_The_UNIX_Philosophy

Pick other precepts that [[ your most loved/hated software of choice ]]
[[ gets right/wrong ]] and that [[ this or that alternative system with
more/less traction ]] [[ gets wrong/right ]].

Of course some will argue as to how applicable the "UNIX philosophy" is
to Linux and I could understand that.

I don't have feelings for or against systemd because I don't know enough
to say and in absence of that I'd rather avoid succumbing to F.U.D. ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew