Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely

On Sunday, March 02, 2014 12:00:41 AM Volker Birk wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 02:17:05PM -0800, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
> > I am a casual Debian user and a person who has 50 years in IT.   My
> > first comment is that the direction that other Linux distributions are
> > taking is not the system V direction.  I am not a Linux Internals
> > person, but there are many who are.  The consensus is that systemd is
> > better and the right approach for now and the future.  I realize that
> > the author of this email to which I am responding is upset. But, what
> > should be done? Do a fork of Debian and that fork remains with Sys V?
>
> There will be a split in Debian community for this decision for sure.
> The split goes through Linux community in total.

Doesn't make the decision to drop SysV Init, a system even its own maintainer
says is a pile of garbage, in favor of systemd, any less technically sound.

> I for myself will switch to DragonFly BSD if possible. The problem is,
> that Linux today has the drivers. And because the political program of
> the systemd guys to conquer the whole Linux world is successful,
> everyone will be dependent on their APIs there in near future.

Oh please, grow up. I got bored with the "Lennart/Red Hat/systemd devs are
trying to conquer Linux" line years ago when systemd first showed up. It was a
laughable pile of crap then and it still is now. I applaud them for at least
attempting to fix the veritable clusterfuckk that is the Linux system
userspace.

Of course, the problem with a lot of Linux users is that any change, whether
its good or not, is the apocalypse. Look at how people react whenever people
use the term "wayland."

> That makes some hope for the BSD world again. The good thing about Free
> Software is the alternatives.

Indeed. Though I think you vastly overestimate how many people even think this
is a bad change. A highly vocal minority at worst.

Have fun using BSD, which continues to have a dwindling user base, for purely
political reasons because you actually buy into conspiracy theories about what
Lennart Poettering does in his free time.

> Yours,
> VB.

Conrad