Re: NSA software in Debian

On 01/19/2014 04:06 PM, Kevin Olbrich wrote:
I did not know about grsecurity. Thanks for the hint. After some quick browsing it seemed it works like the windows code execution protection. I will try to compile the kernel with this patch like you did.

Linux is the most secure OS IMHO - distributing this patch in debian would be great I think (as soon as all apps are compatible).
Greetings,

I just decided to try this out the other day on my Wheezy 7.3 install.  It wasn't that painful and I haven't noticed any performance impact or misbehaving (read: broken) programs, at least not yet.  Then again, I haven't done real benchmarks.

It appears that this patch is available in the apt repos under the "kernel" section (sensibly enough) as:

    linux-patch-grsecurity2

Once it's downloaded, it patches the kernel in an automated fashion and doesn't force a reboot (although I believe you still need one to make it effective, I suppose).

That said, since it's a kernel patch, caveat emptor... your mileage may vary.  And maybe some prefer to customize the options for the patch being applied. ;)

Cheers,
Andrew