Re: Security updates realized by new releases, case for backports?

Op 03-10-13 17:46, Riku Valli schreef:

(...)

> I used Debian stable my everyday use and this sitation how iceweasel and
> icedove now is upgreded is good for me. This quite good compromize with
> usability and convience. Remember, Debian version is ESR and not latest
> one. I am used stable over ten years my main version and this is first
> time when i can used websites most in time wuthout installed some where
> newer package or rolled my own package.

I like it too for the webbrowser, but I would like to have it in another
repository.

> When you used backports i think lot of peoples are quite confused,
> because apt-cache show package shows 2 and sometimes 3 (user used 3
> party repo exm. deb-multimedia) same programs and only difference is
> version number

I think that's a question of publicity. And when a package is only in
backports, there is no choice.

> When you made apt-get install boinc you get version 7.0.27+dfsg-5 and
> when you made apt-get -t wheezy-backports install boinc and you get
> version 7.0.65+dfsg-3~bpo70+1
>
> How ordinary user can handle this? apt-get install package refuses
> install latest version and when they understand how to install latest
> version. They installed lot of packages from backports and broke their
> installation.

I install only packages from backports where I need that newer version.

Why do you think other users will install "lot of packages from
backports"?  And BTW, I don't think they will brake the installation by
using packages from backports.

(...)

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/