Re: How secure is an installation with with no non-free packages?

Okay, thank you for your reply! Convinces me.

Joel Rees:
> I assume you have read his essay on
> trusting trust?

Yes, but I am not claiming, that I fully understand it.

> <rant-mode>

Not perceived as rant at all.

>> Are there other contrib and/or non-free packages, similar to the
>> microcode package, which make the system vulnerable, if not installed?
>
> Depends on what you're using the system for.

I was just asking generally and I think we have already identified three
packages of that type.

> Wish I could say more, but we are really just barely beginning to
scratch the surface of building a stable computer technology.

Yes, the more I dig into one topic, the open questions remain and them
stronger the conclusion "we're totally screwed" becomes.