Re: Use of DSA number for general announcements

Hi,

Le 14/09/2012 01:47, Thijs Kinkhorst a écrit :
> On Fri, September 14, 2012 03:28, David Prevot wrote:
>>> This is a notice to inform you, that our previous PGP/GPG key expired.
>>
>> Thanks for notifying us on debian-security-announce@l.d.o, but I
>> disagree that such an announcement deserves a DSA number.

> Well, this is of course how we 'always' do it.

There has been announcement in the past that didn't use a DSA number:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2005/msg00206.html

> I'm not sure I understand:
> why is it a problem to use (even misuse?) a number? They are free and we
> have ample supply.

They seem to be error prone for the security team, since the number was
used twice this time:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2012/msg00189.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2012/msg00190.html

They also cause confusion for our users (e.g. “why isn't the DSA-2360
documented?”):

http://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/DSA-2360-1
http://www.debian.org/security/2011/dsa-2360

> I doubt a technicallity like a key rollover, which is only relevant for
> people actively conversing with the security team, is useful to post to
> debian-announce.

Totally agreed sorry for mixing two ideas in the same message (I also
wanted to advise coordination with press/publicity for the next
important message, like DSA-2360).

Regards

David