Re: how to fix rootkit?

I would rather (if it's ok for the server do be down for a while) unplug
the internet cable and dd (and/or rsync) all the partitions before
rebooting.
A lot of information (including swap) is lost during reboot...

Best,
Leonor Palmeira.

On 08/02/12 14:50, Fernando Mercês wrote:
> I recommend you boot with some live CD system and make a dump of each
> partition, including swap, with dd. So you can analyze it after wipe
> your system.
>
> This analysis will help you to discover how attacker have gained root
> access, protect your actual system and feed community with real case
> information. If you need help, please let me know.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fernando Mercês
> Linux Registered User #432779
> www.mentebinaria.com.br
> softwarelivre-rj.org
> @MenteBinaria
> ------------------------------------
> II Hack'n Rio - 23 e 24/11
>                  hacknrio.org
> ------------------------------------
>

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Alexander Schreiber
> <als@thangorodrim.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 11:53:14AM +0300, volk@lab127.karelia.ru wrote:
>>> Today I found next things at squeeze. Please help to fix, I've no
>>> experience in such tasks.
>>>
>>> # chkrootkit
>>> ROOTDIR is `/'
>>> Checking `ifconfig'...                                      INFECTED
>>> Checking `netstat'...                                       INFECTED
>>
>> Don't even try to fix, with the system rooted you cannot trust it.
>> The only safe course of action is to wipe the system and reinstall it.
>>
>> If you need the data on the machine and have no current backups, boot
>> from a rescue CD (giving you a _clean_ environment) and copy the data
>> off, then wipe & reinstall.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>           Alex.
>> --
>> "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and
>>  looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison
>>

>> --

- --
Leonor Palmeira, PhD

Phone: +32 4 366 42 69
Email: mlpalmeira AT ulg DOT ac DOT be
http://sites.google.com/site/leonorpalmeira

Immunology-Vaccinology, Bat. B43b
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Boulevard de Colonster, 20
University of Liege, B-4000 Liege (Sart-Tilman)
Belgium