RE: security updates using ftp

> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:01:15 +0200
> From: weasel@debian.org
> To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: security updates using ftp
>
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Nelson Last wrote:
>
> > deb ftp://130.89.149.226/debian squeeze main
> > deb ftp://128.31.0.36/debian-security/ squeeze/updates main
>
> Please realize that none of this is guaranteed to remain working.

I do, but others might not have realized it, and I should have said so. Thanks for the heads-up!

> We might derotate servers from dns when they fall behind or provide
> wrong data, or we might retired them or we might repurpose them.
>
> The DNS will point to servers providing the services, but the actual IP
> addresses might change (and regularly do).
>

> The proper fix is to kick your networking people so that deb
> http://security.d.o and friends work.

Agreed (that is what I meant by "And I've discovered a problem with that of my organization", but that wasn't very clear).

In the meantime I'll figure out a script to either update my sources.list or hosts file as needed. My immediate fix is not intended to be permanent, but it got the job done for the moment. I try to never leave things hacked up like this. I would much rather fix it right, and quick, before I forget about it.