Re: some feedback about security from the user's point of view

Hello,

I think this can be a start: http://www.google.pl/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=site:debian.com+md5 <http://www.google.pl/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=site:debian.com+md5>

Regards,
-Maurycy

On 2011-01-24 10:40, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
Hi!

Am 23.01.2011 18:34, schrieb AK:

2) Regarding MD5, while indeed it has been broken, is it not sufficient
for simple checksumming purposes? [..] Having said that, I am all for the use of
SHA256 or better in all newer examples/hashes, I cannot stress how
strongly I agree, even for the sake of "modernizing".
Has actually anyone checked, if Debian might already provide these?
Oh, look, http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.8/i386/iso-cd/
contains not only md5sums, bus also sha1 and sha256 (as - BTW - do the
Release files used during Package installation via Network).

So that problem is actually only outdated documentation.  Now, if
someone could create a list of our webpages, mentioning md5, we can try
to actually fix them.

Best regards,
   Alexander