From: "Jeroen van Dongen" <jeroen@lbvd.nl>
To: debian-security@lists.debian.org, "Thomas Nguyen Van" <t.nguyenvan@jumper.ie>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 9:27:38 AM GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Rome / Stockholm / Vienna
Subject: RE: Question related to FDE (Full Disk Encryption) solution under Linux Debian Lenny

If your server can reboot without a human being present to enter a password, what's to stop someone who steals your server to obtain access to the data?

The FDE does NOT protect your data against hackers - if they hack your running system, they have access to all data that your application has access to as well.

FDE only has something to offer against an adversary getting physical access to an *in-active*/un-mounted disk. And even then, only if the required credentials are *not* stored on/with the same system.

Rgds,

Jeroen