Re: Fwd: On Wireshark and network capture in general

Le vendredi 19 juin 2009 à 12:54 +0200, Jaap Keuter a écrit :
> > What I've noticed is that Debian (still) requires the user to run
> > Wireshark with root credentials in order to be able to launch a
> > network
> > capture. Otherwise the network interfaces won't even be visible.
> > This problem, running a massive GUI application with root
> > credentials, was
> > identified long ago and addressed as such. The core capture
> > functionality
> > was isolated in a capture child, so the rest (dissection, GUI, etc)
> > could
> > be run as a normal user. This only(ahem) requires the capture engine
> > (dumpcap) to be installed setuid root.

I think it’s just as bad an idea to launch dumpcap setuid root as it is
to launch the GUI as root.

Please consider supporting PolicyKit to communicate between the frontend
and the backend instead. This way the backend doesn’t have to be
installed setuid root, and the user is authenticated before starting it.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :