Re: debian-security-announce - Upgrade instructions

Hi,

On tongersdei 21 Maaie 2009, FTF 3k3 wrote:
> The "Upgrade instructions" section of each email contains instructions
> for apt-get instead of aptitude which is Debian recommended package
> manager.

In some documents, aptitude is indeed preferred over apt-get because of the
dependency resolving strategy it has that may work out in some situations
better than apt-get's.

For security updates though, there should not be any conflicting dependency
situations that need to be resolved: it's replacing one installed package
with a newer version of itself that didn't change its dependencies. Therefore
there's no real difference in using apt-get or aptitude to upgrade your
Debian system, so we keep to the traditional tool.

cheers,
Thijs