Re: security advice wanted for home server

andy baxter wrote:
Sorry, forgot to send this to the list.

Martin Bartenberger wrote:
andy baxter schrieb:
Thanks to those who replied about ssh config. Would be good to know more about whether it's worth setting up aide for a small home server like this, and if the way I'm thinking of doing it is OK. My main worry isn't someone reading my files, which aren't desperately secret, it's that I don't want to hassle of having to reinstall after being cracked, and I don't want to become part of someone else's botnet.
It depends on you. I'd think that it's enough if you watch the processes running on your server from time to time, check it with rkhunter or something similar and keep an eye on your logs (via logcheck for example). You also can chroot your webserver. For me, using something like aide would be a bit too much for a small personal server.

Thanks - I think I'll give aide a miss. Another question - I'm thinking
of putting together a cd with some files on it useful for checking the
system. Then every so often I can mount the CD on the NSLU2 and check
the system knowing that the programs I'm using are reasonably clean
(barring kernel/system library modifications etc.). The programs I'm
thinking of putting on the disc are:

- everything in /bin
- rkhunter plus config files.
- chkrootkit ditto
- top
- netstat
- less
- mc

So the question is - does this seem like a worthwhile thing to do, and
are there any other programs worth including?

Thinking about it, seeing as I'm burning a whole CD, I might as well just backup the whole of the current system to CD and use that, so no need for advice on which programs to include.

andy