Re: Securing my PC at a Wireless Hotspot?

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Chip Panarchy <forumanarchy@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, how do I secure my PC at a Wireless Hotspot?

This is on the borderline of debian-user and debian-security. People
will argue both ways on that.

Use a VPN or an SSH tunnel to a trusted source.

I use one of my servers, either a VPS I rent for about $10/mo or a
server I own and maintain that's on the Internet in a data center.

My trust level of those servers is much higher than any other method.

I know that my traffic is secure from my point to my server, then off
the to the internet.

As far as securing my own laptop while on the hotspot, I will make
sure I do not have unnecessary ports open.