Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 1571-1] New openssl packages fix predictable random number generator

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:39:54PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008, Nick Boyce wrote:
> > This is the best explanation I've seen so far :
> > http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=551636&cid=23392602
> >
> > I have no idea if it's correct, but it sounds very plausible.
>
> It is incorrect.  Close, but incorrect.
>
> > If there was any mistake it may have been to try too hard to get a
> > warning-free run from valgrind.
>
> Especially when dealing with a badly signaled landmine zone like OpenSSL...
>
> > As the /. post says, "Hats off to the reviewer who picked up on the
> > problem".
>
> Indeed.  Running millions of machines on what basically is a small set
> of keys (in other words, brute-forceable) is no joke.  We will be
> feeling the repercusions of this one for a few years.
>
> It is probably worth a lot of effort to fully map the entire set of keys
> the broken openssl could generate, and find a very fast way to check if
> a key belong to that set.  And add that to openssl upstream (to
> automatically fail any verification done using such keys).

So, just so I understand the possible issue here. The key generated with
the bad openssl library come from a smaller set of possible keys and a
brute force attack would take a lot less time than key generated from a
non broken openssl library ?

is that right ?

or is it that the keys generated from the bad openssl library can be
worked out (ie given the public you could compute the private)

Thanks